Sunday, May 15, 2005
***warning*** - super long post with lots of pics ahead!
So... I went down today as a volunteer for the Vesak Day celebration at Orchard. Its actually a two day event(14th & 15th May) but I couldn't make it on saturday due to the student conference thingy.
Anyways! I enjoyed myself SOOOOO MUCH today!!!!! Its a really lively, fun, and a well organised event! I wish I had been there on saturday too. Oh well...at least I had been a part of it. =D
I went down to Ngee Ann City, Civic Plaza at around 9am to report for my volunteer work.

Briefing and stuffs took about 30mins. Turns out that I don't have to be a walking human advertisement. Haha... They had assigned it all to the YBC ppl.
Then attended the morning meditation session for 2hrs...guided by 3 different Venerables. Made me feel so much better 'cos I was upset over something this morning.
After that, we had lunch...which was vegetarian mee hoon...which...erm... was... kinda pathetic looking. hahaha... I ate half of it and I couldn't force myself to eat that "stuff" anymore so I threw it away. (ya...i know i shouldnt waste food esp on such religious day...but..but...the taste was.......SIGHZ.... LOL...)
Started right to work straight after lunch.
Free painting of Buddhist colour "flag"! =)

Painting on our one and only ang moh volunteer guy from NTUBS.

Painting on a little cute boy =)
What does the 5 colours of the Buddhist flag mean?
Blue - compassion
Yellow - the middle pathRed - blessings
White - purity
Orange - wisdom

Got my arm painted too before I set out to stand under the hot sun inviting ppl to join in the celebrations and handling out postcards to youths who maybe interested in our tertiary sch's CCA.
Along the way, the YBC walking advertisements came...along with the loud noises of the drumming of the trash cans... all of us volunteers around the Civic plaza cheered for them. It was a moment where we showed the public how united we were.



There was supposed to be the walking advertisement team(with loads of balloons) standing on the opposite side road doing kallang wave...haha... but my lousy phone cam didnt quite show it. And then a moment later, there was a traffic jam on the road and the team made use of that to attract the attention of the drivers and passengers.
Our BS board exhibition...

The stage and seats....

where theres continuous performances through'out the day starting from 1pm - Which includes...
Lots of singing by buddhist youths,

3 young girls who have voices sooooo sweet and cute!!!

And students from Lee Wei Song sch of Music - the first one was a girl group...sang not bad... the 2nd one is a boy group..aiyoh..dunno what to say sia... the voices are nice BUT, they seem distracted and one of them even wrote the lyrics on his hand and was refering to it during the performance! But the last song that the whole bunch of them sang together was fantabulous! Loved the hamony of voices.
And the drumming of the trash cans by the YBC ppl was the last program. It was another great show put up by them.
Our NYPBS game booth...

Our booth guy with a cute boy who played very well =)

Project Infinity (Public Wish-making project)
Where the public were invited to write down their wishes on a coloured paper and put them into the colour specific "hollow tubes" which had fan to blow the papers up.


After making a wish, you'll get a cute flower with a tag that says(in both chinese and english): Plant the seeds of LOVE and COMPASSION. Lets make this world a better place. =)

We tied it around our fingers and walked ard feeling so girly. Haha..(no lar...the second part was just a joke....heh~)

There was a huge statue of Buddha for ppl to offer their respects....

And...beside the statue... was a mini statue of Buddha and there's a button where you can press to "cleanse" it with water. Just like this....

A pagoda sort of structure where ppl can turn the "bells" as they walk around it for luck and blessings.

Now...finally! Group shot of our NYPBS volunteers!

A crazy candid shot... hehee~

Four beautiful angels... =)

Act CoOl... :p

Byeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
*Clearer pics courtesy of Huixian.... lousy quality ones hahaz...its my phone cam. =p*
Scribbled by: jun @7:56 PM